Went to the GP today. I feel I have spent numerous hours at various doctor's offices over the past few months - and it has always been about me, me, and more about me. I can't say I like it. When you are pregnant and going to an OB or midwife appointments, it really isn't about you, it is all about the baby. These doctors' appointments are always about me - and it gets a bit tiring.
What is new on the GP front? The lump in my breast I found six odd weeks ago is more than likely simply more fibrocystic breast disease. I am to schedule an ultrasound at a clinic to get it checked out. The doctor is convinced given the feel of the sucker and my history that the results will be nothing interesting. I am not fretting.
She did listen to my chest, though, and asked if I was tired or ever felt light-headed. Well, yeah, I am ALWAYS tired and feel light-headed a lot - especially with the random and very periodic anxiety moments about the thing in my head. Well, a quick listen to my chest suggested perhaps it isn't quite just me and my personal habits. I did bring up the failed spirometry test (blow hard on the tube thing with the ball in it) last October. I tried and tried and tried, but just couldn't pass that darn test. Given I failed the hearing test in the same room, it seemed (and was) less important than than my hearing issues. Alas, it just might be something. So, I am on bronchial dilators and steroids for a month to see if I feel better. I am not quite sure of the consequences if I do feel better - a life time of asthma drugs (don't like that)? And, I thought the huffing, puffing and dizziness at the top of the stairs was just an out-of-shape momma with a few anxiety issues.
She suggested I might be just 'stoic' so don't realize the symptoms - highly unlikely that would be the proper term after I looked up the definition, 'shows little emotion despite great difficulties' - oh, I show a ton of emotion, it just is usually framed in the midst of a joke. [I am still relishing, if my critical illness claim does come through - whole other post, but won't jinx myself until it is determined - the prospect of a pulled-port lunch a work with the entire purpose of 'Yeah, I have a brain tumor, and no I can't hear you!' ... really not a laughing matter, but heck, who wants to see me cry.] Of course, as soon as she mentioned the concept of light-headedness, I have had that odd symptom for the past few hours - the power of persuasion!
On to the topic of stockpiling, even shocked myself I remembered to ask. I am stockpiling Tamiflu - already got it filled so no doctor or government agency can think twice about what I already own. My drug plan has paid the darn $90 and I have two rounds of Tamiflu, expiring in November 2011 in my grubby little paws. I won't claim ownership to the idea. The company's business continuity and infectious disease disaster planner was in Toronto a few weeks ago - and he suggested getting the prescription and putting it in your cabinet - the shelf life is long, and if it gets difficult, getting in to see your family doctor or getting the drug may be difficult. I wasn't quite sure if socialized medicine would come through - but gosh bless this crappy system, I strongly believe it works, and works relatively well. [It helps the Canadian government has a reasonable plan in place.] Nevertheless, the pharmacist filled the prescription for 20 doses (i.e. two adults) and the boxes will sit in my cabinet, if, as and when required. I will work on doses for the babes with the pediatrician in October and schedule vaccinations when available.
Not a bad accomplishment for a summer Friday!
No comments:
Post a Comment