Seanie is exhibiting a darn good limp. It happened rather quickly on Wednesday evening. I was watching Ghostbusters (a library version, from which you can't view the ending because of scratches on the dvd) with the other kidlets. Seanie was playing with his garage behind us in the basement. He started to cry. I turned to see that he had fallen to the ground. When he got up, his leg kept giving out. I had visions of the story of my cousin's young child - turned around while playing at a coffee table, and broke his leg.
On Thursday, Jim took him to the walk-in clinic at the local hospital. The diagnosis was transient synovitis - an inflammation of the lining of the knee joint (it is actually more common as a hip inflammation). It is relatively common as a post-viral reaction. Seanie has had several fevers over the past few weeks - nothing serious, but noticeable. I am not, though, completely buying the diagnosis. The kid was absolutely fine one minute, then limping the next. However, I am not willing to push for a better diagnosis just yet. The child has absolutely no pain - noted on Thursday evening when he was jumping off the ottoman and landing flat-footed on the floor, falling over, then repeating the leap. My latest idea is he has stubbed or maybe broken his toe. That diagnosis also has a few weak points - there is absolutely no discolouration, swelling or tenderness on any part of his leg - hip, knee, ankle or toe.
We will wait it out for a few more days. I may call it in on Wednesday to the pediatrician if we see no substantial improvements in his limping status.
While I don't like the limp, Sir Hop Along is a much much more complimentary name than Sir Whine a Lot.
No comments:
Post a Comment