Have had a bout of writer's block of recent. Much going on, just not much energy or initiative to think out a post. Once again, a lovely summer weekend is coming to a close, and we have had a wonderful time. We have been missing Jim who has been at the links for the past two days but he should be home shortly. I saved him a donut, so maybe I will get a cup of coffee out of the deal.
Declan has bashed his face again. Thankfully, his poor front teeth were unaffected. I did have a witness to the second incident so no one should question my parenting skills, or at least my supervision skills. You would wonder if you saw the child! Don't mind the white donut sugar - I forgot to take the wipes to the park. He looks much worse in real life as the scrapes are very red and sore looking. On a positive note, his teeth, while out of alignment, remain strong, relatively stable and white.
He looked sufficiently bad after taking a tumble, face first of course, down the last few steps of the basement stairs - purple egg and a scraped face.
However, it was the second tumble on the driveway that caused all the damage. Of course, there is always a story, and our stories typically involve a sibling issue. I guess Declan hit Andrew. Andrew retaliated and pushed Declan while he was running with his hoola hoop. Declan went off balance, got his feet tangled in the hoop and with his hands hanging on to the hoop (who would ever give up the hoop), went down very very very hard, face first on the pavement. He landed at my feet. The sickening sound of skull hitting payment still reverberates - I absolutely hate that sound.
Andrew ran like a bat out hell, screaming as he hid behind the tree. I would have just thought Declan fell because of the hoola hoop entanglement. However, when one child cowers behind a tree claiming at least one tooth was already loose, the cat was out of the bag.
Guess what - I can yell. After figuring out Declan was more than likely OK. I started yelling at Andrew and threatened with the best threat possible for that child - 'come see the blood' (there was very little - it is a road rash injury.) He was shrieking. I don't believe in or need to administer any form of corporal punishment. A little bit of yelling, the threat of blood and a trip to bed for both children made the seriousness of the sibling issues well known.
2 comments:
Dang, Deckles must be one tough kid by now. I also hate the sound of cranial impact. It's pretty sad when you are in the other room and can identify whose head just hit the wall.
Ow...poor little man. However, judging by his cheerful grin in the picture, he appears to have bounced back nicely.
Post a Comment