March 14, 2009

The Mexican Gaston


Deckles had a Mexican gaston for breakfast this morning - a cream cheese & jam wrapped tortilla. The boy loves cream cheese and we had run out of bagels. Why not wrap it up? Jim called it a Mexican gaston - and you know what, we akk understand that terminology perfectly. Most, however, wouldn't have a concept of a gaston. Why would they - we have morphed a word, specific to our family that no one else will ever use.

I am not even quite sure how we started using the word, Gaston. I know its origins - Gaston is Anatole's friend. Anatole is the main character, a mouse, in Eve Titus' books. We watched the television cartoons a few years ago. Gaston loved food, in particular bread (and cheese too). We started calling all croissants - gastons. We have never stopped.

Somehow the concept of a French croissant as a gaston crossed the barrier to the Mexican tortilla this morning. No one here seem to miss a beat when Jim suggested a Mexican gaston - thus, a new concept was born.

I am now thinking that these new little Mexican gastons could be a pretty neat spin on the breakfast trail. A gaston, cream cheese, a bit of cinnamon and a panini machine (which we don't own). I think the combos could be endless - and would suggest the Mexican gaston is here to stay.

No comments: