and think that is just fine!
Odd, isn't it?
I returned to the doctor today for the results of my MRI from two very very long weeks ago. The results, a teeny weeny little benign brain tumor called an acoustic neuroma. It is only about 5mm x 8mm - so very tiny. The doctor suggested a 'watch and wait' with a 6 month MRI follow-up and some additional hearing/balance tests to determine baselines. I think that sounds just fine - off the cuff, at least. I have a bit more research to do, of which the doctor said he would send some information to me (additional studies etc).
However, the options are a bit much - remove the tumor (which is causing no harm at this point) via invasive neurosurgery with only a 1 in 5 chance of saving my hearing on the left side (I have only mild hearing loss at this point) and a 1 in 20 chance of causing permanent facial palsy; or radial-surgery (radiation as I gather) that has its own hearing loss and palsy risks (much lower) but a much higher risk of a brain malignancy in 10-30 years (undefined risk).
I think I will just let the sucker sit around - it might grow, or it might just do absolutely nothing. The hearing loss is permanent, it will likely worsen over the next while - but I still hear almost everything. If it grows - which is bad because it can press on the brain stem and other vital brain structures, I will face the next decision a bit later on.
So, all in all, got myself a brain tumor, and am overjoyed!
1 comment:
Good news, I think, all things considered. So glad you know *something* and that it is tiny and a slow grower. One benefit I can think of - with a little bit less hearing, you'll be able to tolerate the noise 4 small children can generate a smidge better.
Still thinking of you as you digest all of this new info.
Post a Comment