August 2, 2007

She is going to be just fine!

Kathleen started at a city camp on Monday - Kinderswim, a general camp for the 4 and 5 years along with a swim lesson each day for two weeks. I was very worried about sending her to a new place and was nervous she wouldn't settle into a different routine. Her old daycare was simply awesome - highly trained staff, wonderful facility, great home-cooked food by an Italian grandma of four kiddos - simply awesome. This camp - inner city school (I found out today - I never realized anything in my neighbourhood would be labelled 'inner city), no air conditioning, unorganized class room, college/high school students for teachers, mismatched splash pools etc.

Well, the girl loves it. Kathleen is very proud that she has graduated from daycare and she goes to a big girl school and big girl camp. She even dropped her nap. She is enjoying her bagged lunch (OK, I had an completely irrational fear about bagged lunches) but she did bring her pizza, from Pizza Day home today all wrapped up. She floated all by herself in the pool. As we were leaving this afternoon, two little girls from her class - Christine and Brooklynne - yelled out from a window 'Bye Kate' - she evens has new little friends, all in four days. [As an aside, I think we might be switching our name again, back to Kate.]

I shed a few tears when I drove home earlier this week as she began to describe her day - 'let me start from the beginning' in a very knowledgeable tone. My baby girl is growing up. At this point, Senior Kindergarten is going to be breeze.

Now, I just have to get over the idea of her riding on a school bus when they go on a school trip next week. Still having a few irrational momma moments on letting her go.

2 comments:

cs said...

"Kate" is back!!
too funny..

cris

Jana said...

Of course she is going to be just fine but I am so glad you have one less thing to worry about! More pics of the newest one please!