Jim's cousin's daughter had a baby boy earlier this week - an 8lb+, first child, at least 10 days overdue, named Aiden. Great name - we just need to figure out a great present. I am thinking clothes or Eric Carle books - love those books.
Kathleen asked about this new child. As is so common with this girl, she does need to know how the babe is related to our family. Alas, I finally had the motivation and the time to google the response while 'working', nibbling on my breakfast sandwich and sipping a hot cup of coffee at my desk this morning. Thank goodness for Wikpedia that finally shed the light I have always been seeking on the lovely term second cousin, twice removed. The descriptors of the royal family always have me baffled that they can actually identify an individual who is a '4th cousin, thrice removed'.
So, to be short ... since Kathleen is the daughter of the first cousin level and this little boy, Aiden is the grandson of that first cousin, Kathleen shares a great grandparent while Aiden shares a great great grandparent ... and thus, they are second cousins, once removed. Kathleen and the mom of Aiden (the daughter of that first cousin) are simply second cousins.
Check out Wikpedia - it provides a handy little chart to explain all this stuff. By the way, don't think I know any third cousins, even once removed - way too much detail.
1 comment:
Yay, I finally have the cousin thing figured out, too -- as I was reading your post and stopped, drew a little chart, and thought, they must be second cousins, once removed, and was glad to see that Wikipedia agreed. My SIL and I got in a big debate over cousin descriptions a couple years ago and Google decided she was right and I was wrong, but at least now I can knowingly say that my kids and my sister's future kids will be first cousins on their mothers' sides and second cousins on their fathers' sides. A lovely mess we're creating, by Kelsey marrying Dan's cousin :)
Post a Comment