May 5, 2007

Nuggets ... homemade

I have wanted to make chicken nuggets from scratch for months. While I think the frozen variety are a great resource for the busy family, you still find weird little ingredients on the package. I found a recipe on the internet that seemed simple, I had all the ingredients and used up the chicken breasts in the fridge.

Here goes ...

Easy Healthful Chicken Nuggets

  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch chunks
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 1/2 cup cornflake crumbs
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • Salt


  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray baking sheet with nonstick spray or line with Release nonstick foil. Pour milk and crumbs into separate bowls (we used plastic bags). If using corn flakes, season with salt, pepper, oregano and garlic powder as desired (we used seasoned bread crumbs).

    Dip chicken pieces into milk, then into crumbs and coat thoroughly. Place in single layer on baking sheet. Drizzle butter over nuggets, sprinkle with salt and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until no longer pink in the middle.


    I even kept a few of the half eaten ones for Jim to review when he gets home this evenings (Men's opening at the golf course). I think they look magnificent. I spent no effort cutting them into either strips or nuggets - a random assortment. Declan and Kathleen seemed to enjoy them but of course the picky one immediately knew they weren't the nuggets he liked to eat. I nibbled mine with blue cheese dressing and hot sauce - yum!

    I now just need to figure out how you can freeze a batch these suckers - do you cook them first and then freeze or freeze the uncooked variety? Or, I guess, it was so simple that I could just make them from scratch.

    I am also on the quest for 'from scratch' muffin mixes that I can make ahead (then just add milk, eggs, butter, fruit etc). The prepackage muffin mixes are either loaded with trans fat (read the labels), unknown chemicals or SUGAR! How hard can it be to mix up three or four zip-lock bags of muffin mix. Kathleen is always a keen participant to make a batch of muffins in the morning.

    2 comments:

    AmyRobynne said...

    Mmm, those ideas both sound like things we'll have to try. Peter loves making muffins too and although they aren't too time consuming, I agree that a pre-made ziploc mix would make them doable even in the morning.

    It's CSA season here now, so we had sweet and sour black radishes with dinner last night and I almost made sunchoke fries with our burgers at dinner.

    Anonymous said...

    I'll have to try these. I've tried similar recipes before, but they've always turned out kinda dry. E does them in the frying pan...a bit higher in the fat content, but no problem with dryness.