November 16, 2006

First Midwife Appointment

This morning was the first appointment. It was so odd driving back to their offices after only a 9 month reprieve. It was great to see them. I have my original midwife, Mahnaz, a student midwife (4th year) and a new back-up - Janet.

I am healthy, wouldn't you know. They laughed heartily at my story at how this baby came to be, I was weighed (140lbs vs. 150lbs. when I started there at 9 weeks with Declan), peed in a cup and had my blood taken. The blood taking was a bit of an adventure, still better than sitting in a lab (yet another advantage of midwifery - no labs, all done in the office). The student must have put the band on a bit too soon because the pressure caused an incredible spray. I was watching Mahnaz at the time and her face went quite distorted - when I looked back, blood was splattered everywhere. They were comforted by my HIV -tve status in the prior year and, well, my not-really-sexually-active status. Never seen that happen before! The student tried again (no harm done, why not) with the small little 'butteryfly' needle and all was well.

We also began the never-ending discussion of homebirth. I would love to do that this time. Declan's birth at the hospital was just fine, but why spend the 20 minutes in the car each way and an hour waiting for the paper work to be done - all that was longer than it took to have the kiddo. I would really like to stay home. The husband isn't too keen, keeps mentioning the efficiency of the powerwasher in the bedroom. I have told the midwives that I need all the 'worst-case' scenarios that would require transport or risks to the momma or the babe over the next 7 months to determine the best scenario for us.

On a positive development, the midwives have adapted their schedules to ensure the midwives have better life-balance. I am so happy for them - the 10 months on call 24/7 would be so difficult on your personal life. They are now doing two primary midwives (alternative visits) and two back-up midwives - in set, working as a team. So, I will either have Mahnaz or Janet at the birth as well as one of the two back-ups. Still, so much better than the OB world when you don't even know the name of who delivered your baby and such a better lifestyle for the midwives and their families.

I am honestly excited now - I love being pregnant but it was a bit hard to get in the groove given the suddeness of this pregnancy and the youth of Declan. It is going to be a great 7 months.

3 comments:

mi said...

Ann,
How exciting for you! I'm so eager to hear what you decide on homebirth. It just seems so perfect for you, but I know there are a lot of factors.

Anonymous said...

I think a homebirth would be lovely for you. I have two other friends who have gone that route and they were both so pleased with how it all worked out. Of the four babies involved, one did end up being born in the hospital, but she and her mum were just fine and none the worse for their last minute change of venue. Oh, and they assure me that the midwives provide a "kit" for the bed and clean up afterwards so Jim can rest easy.

Jen H. said...

Really, you must convince your husband that the mess thing is just a total non-issue. Also, something to maybe ease your mind, is that midwives are highly trained to recognize a situation long in advance, and are more than cautious about transferring if they are having the slightest doubts. And of course, you can plan a homebirth and change your mind at any moment in labour as well. So it might be an idea for you to plan and prepare for one, but knowing in the back of your mind that you can still jump ship. Also, we were both impressed with the amount of medical equipment our midwives carried. I felt very safe the entire time. Good luck with the big decision!