November 26, 2006

Childhood reading

Sometimes I get a bit overly excited about the prospects of sharing some of my childhood favorite books with Kathleen. With the start of Christmas shopping, I have already begun to look for titles I loved as a child. I also have fond memories of the movie 'Cider House Rules' where the children are read a classic novel at bedtime. I am starting to wonder when I would be able to copy that tradition.

I loved ponies & horses as a child. I was obsessed. Kathleen appears to be following in my footsteps as she collects anything horsey. I also loved reading horse books. I am sure I have not read them all but I have read a lot of wonderful wonderful horse books. So, I have been doing some internet research. It appears many of my favorites are not really in current print.

I loved the stories by Marguerite Henry - Misty of Chincoteague and Justin Morgan had a Horse, to name a pair. [These books are due to be reprinted next May 2002, in a boxed set of the author's most popular trio, due for release on May 22 - Kathleen's birthday no less.] I never owned these books but use to borrow them from the local library as a child. The book suggests an age group of 7 - 9 years. I am wondering if Kathleen would allow me to read these stories to her. I also saw an audio version of the story. We listen to story CDs in the car but the repetition of the CD is key to the comprehension so I am not certain Kathleen (and Andrew as our other passenger) would grasp the story given the length of the book.

I would also love to read 'My Friend Flicka' and 'Black Beauty'. I think the Black Stallion series are too long for me to have the patience to read them to her, but I too like those books.

I almost feel like trotting off to the library next weekend to see if they have a copy of these books in their holdings. I am so excited for Kathleen to discover the love of reading. It is going to be awesome watching her read these chapter books (aka silent books according to Kathleen.

No comments: