November 15, 2006

Crust of bread, please

When we go out for a meal, I always ask for a crust of bread for Declan to chew on. It gives him something to do and provides us a much appreciated break from holding him or amusing him at every turn. A few days ago, we asked for the crust and were met by a baffled looked by the waiter. He suggested the pan bread with the garlic butter spread. It occured to me after he left that the pan bread costs over $4 - I just wanted a simple crust of bread, like the pieces of bread that come in the bread basket.

About 10 minutes later, he returns to say the loaf is in the oven but it will be another several minutes. I knew he didn't understand that I wanted a plain crust of bread - the more crust the better. I mentioned again that all I wanted was a simple crust of bread and nothing baked or hot for the baby. He seemed to get it.

A few minutes later he brought back a crust of bread ... literally - a large slice of white bread with the filling cut-out. I got my odd, by literal, crust of bread.

He was young and obviously didn't spend much time with little babes. Declan enjoyed his crust.

4 comments:

Jen H. said...

I had a similar experience in a restaurant recently with a young, male server. The kids' meals came with choice of milk (reg. or choc.) or juice, so I opted for milk but asked him to mix a tiny bit of chocolate milk into mostly white milk. He earnestly and apologetically informed me that they have only white OR chocolate, not mixed. For a minute I was confused, thinking he was refusing, but then he caught on - just pour a plain old white milk, but splash a touch of the chocolate milk into it - Voila! Chocolate Milk Lite - my signature kiddie beverage of choice in restaurants!

Anonymous said...

You never said - did you enjoy your hot out of the oven garlic bread as much as Declan his customised crust?? xx

Ann said...

Thankfully, he cancelled the Pan Bread - I don't need the hot gooey buttery bread (but cetainly could go for it now!)

mi said...

Sometimes, I just wonder! Personal non-fave while pointing to the kids' menu "He'll have french toast." If they aren't sure if the 9 month old babe wants to adult version or the kids' version, they should really ask!