October 15, 2006

Helmet boy v2.0

Declan has been wearing his helmet for almost two weeks. We have really started to get the groove going and it almost seems natural. I became a member of a Plagiocephaly/helmet yahoo chat group soon after Declan was diagnosed (several months ago) and asked many questions before we got our helmet. I always find these type of chat boards to be helpful - both in information but also a quick insight into other neurotic mommas thought processes (I am not as irrational as some others).

One of the big concerns some of these moms have is the way people look at their kiddos. Some even lock themselves into their homes out of fear of people laughing or starring at their baby. I have to admit, I was a bit worried about the questions people might ask about the funny looking little kid in the helmet. But, we know why he has a helmet and so I am really not that concerned with the comments.

Reality struck almost immediately. As I pushed Declan's stroller back to daycare through my building, I was utterly shocked by the number of people who looked, pointed and outwardly laughed at the little guy. The good thing - you could tell that they weren't teasing but simply pointing out how cute the little gaffer is. He looks adorable in his little hockey helmet. As someone else mentioned, it is almost like he is ready to hop on his bike and ride down the street. I am still surprised at the show of emotion people have for the little one's helment.

DH thinks I should decorate his helmet in honour of the Toronto Maple Leafs and get Declan a genuine Leaf's jersey. I have to admit, despite having no personal fascination with hockey, that the look would be priceless. I plan to travel down the elevator bank to the Hockey Hall of Fame to see if they carry the appropriate size jerseys. I have a question out to the only person I know who is a nutty hockey fan, Courtney for the appropriate number. We shall see what her decision may be!

One other great thing about the world of helmets and stickers - I don't get anyone asking how to spell Declan. It is spelt exactly as you might assume but I still get asked. Now that his name is pasted across his head, I seem to get many fewer questions. [I will leave the debate of the common name, i.e., Andrew, versus the uncommon name, i.e. Declan to another post!]

2 comments:

Courtney said...

I would say #15 would be the best but that is because Kaberle is my favourite player ... let me look into it though ... there may be a more appropriate player for him. I LOVE the idea. Kian owns several tiny Leafs jerseys

Anonymous said...

Glad you're in the groove with the helmet. I'm still a member of the yahoo group although I rarely post. It's a great group with lots of information.