Kate and I left the boys behind in Toronto, and went west to visit my parents in Calgary. It was my mom's birthday on the 18th so it was a girl's weekend, in honour of a birthday.
I have never spent a weekend alone with only one child. I will say I am a much more patient mother when I only need to manage the schedule of one (girl) child as compare to four children (including three lovely, busy boys). I am certain I haven't raised my voice all weekend long. Kate was a pure delight, quite, talkative and very polite.
We celebrated my mom's birthday out on Saturday night at a local Italian restaurant. We chose the 'Chef's Table' spread - a grand surprise of tasty delights. Kate joined in with the adults (sans the wine, of course). She was exposed to more variety in that two hour span than she probably had ever experienced - bison, rabbit, designer beets, exotic cheese, grand vegetables, and panna cotta. She was keen, bold and ever brave. I was incredibly proud - no DS in sight (we don't own them), not even a small activity. She kept up with the adults!
Obviously, one most manage the balance of privileges well with a family of four children. Kate and I were able to escape the abode on Friday morning with a promise to Andrew and Declan (and implied to Sean) that each trip a different kidlet will come visit Calgary. I wonder when the push for the next trip will be exercised.
Several phone calls home to the husband yielded always a very quiet, happy household (as expected). Andrew and Deckie have been working on the last world on the Super Mario game. Studying the play through visuals on the internet to determine how to win the game. I have heard the boys studied very hard and have made progress. We shall see tonight.
We have packed our bags, stuffed them with the two new tents (saved the PST!!!) and a big piece of birthday cake to share with the gang when we get home this afternoon. A grand weekend.
No comments:
Post a Comment