April 24, 2010

A few steps closer


I mentioned several posts ago that this family is contemplating going camping this summer. I made reservations at two Ontario parks a few months ago - a 4 day trip to the Pinery in June, and a 6 day trip to Killbear in August. (I have whole-heartedly accepted we may not stay as long as planned - some weather contingency days in place.) I have also spent countless hours researching camping equipment on the internet - tents, sleeping bags, stoves and cooking gear to name but a few. All of us made a trip to Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC) weeks ago and bought a third sleeping bag (designated for Declan). Since that point, the steps forward on camping had slowed considerably.

When I was in Calgary last weekend, my parents, keen campers when I was a kid, took me to Calgary MEC as well as a non-MEC camping store. We looked at and viewed a lot of different gear. Graciously, and will admit in part likely out of impatience, my parents sent me home with TWO very large tents. Why pay the PST - same tent as Ontario, but just cheaper. However, also, a general philosophy of my father, 'shit or get off the pot.' Two MEC tents (Funhouse 6 and a new tent, the Nimbus) fit in suitcases, and two tents flew home with Kate and me! I guess we really are going tenting this summer.

The three older kidlets have been eagerly sleeping in their sleeping bags (we have 3 sleeping bags) in the basement for several weeks. Tonight they plan to sleep in the living room (otherwise known as the LEGO room in this house) in the tent Jim and I have set up. The smaller of the two tents, the Nimbus is up, without its fly, and, for the record, without tent pegs. It barely fits in the LEGO room. The initial set-up was very easy, and can be done by one person.

The kidlets are very excited. We shall see how they sleep. Thankfully, no risk of rain or coons tonight.

No comments: