A goal for 2010. I don't expect to eliminate process foods, but a bit of the slow food movement can't but help the whole family. Jim's research yielded several new ingredients for the pantry - flax seeds, whole wheat pastry flour, chia seeds and spirulina. I found a granola bar recipe that uses many of the ingredients, and is also nut-free. I have tried the chia seeds but am avoiding the spirulina (dark green seaweed???) Of interest, while I was researching nut free granola bars, I had no idea that the Quaker nut-free granol bars are a Canadian phenonomen. Regardless, while the Quaker bars are convenient, they do still fall into the highly processed category.
An Ottawa area mom had the following recipe on her blog, I have taken it, pretty much as is. I owe a healthy snack for Kate's Valentine Day Party tomorrow, so made up a double batch tonight.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 cup whole flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (I think it was called “soft” flour)*
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup cherry-flavoured cranberries
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt (forgot it this last time)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup canola oil (hoping to reduce)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. I made the double batch on a large rimmed cookie sheet.
2. In large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, flax, cinnamon, flour, raisins and salt. Make a well in the centre, pour in the honey, egg, oil and vanilla. Mix well. Pat the mixture evenly into the pan.
3. Bake for about 30 minutes, but watch the baking time. If you leave them in too long they’ll be dry. I like mine a bit chewier. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars or squares. Do not allow the bars to cool completely before cutting or they will be too hard to cut.
2 comments:
Oh I am going to try your cranola recipe. I try to keep our home very lean on processed food and it is surprisingly easy once you get into the habit - or rather out of the habit ;-) good luck
top [url=http://www.c-online-casino.co.uk/]uk casino[/url] coincide the latest [url=http://www.realcazinoz.com/]casino bonus[/url] unshackled no consign perk at the chief [url=http://www.baywatchcasino.com/]casino gratuity
[/url].
Post a Comment