December 4, 2009

Book Hound

A few months ago, I discovered the local library. By local library, I mean the library that is simply around the corner from the house. The TIm Horton's, which I can see right from the end of my street, is further away than the library. I always knew its location. I just hadn't figured out the benefit of libraries.

In their most basic form, libraries hold lots and lots of books. You can borrow those books for free. Thus, you can borrow a lot of books for free. When I first started frequenting the library, I thought to myself that 5 books was a happy balance of books to check out. I even remember asking the librarian check-out person, how many books one person could check out. I believe she said 50 books, but it may even be more. I also remember thinking what nut-bar would contemplate that many books out at one time. I still think that way; however, will admit, I think I have almost 30 books (and movies) checked out on my card. Jim must have at least another 10 books on his card --> a lot of books to remember.

The other amazing thing about libraries - the internet checkout and hold system. Aside from the numerous books checked out, I have a whole library on hold. You can reserve books 24/7. When they become available, they are delivered to the 'Hold Shelf'. I simple walk in, check out and walk right back out - all in less than 5 minutes. Can you guess, I love the library?

The benefit to me: I have been reading books. I am not particularly fast reader, I don't stay up too late because I am very tired, but I do read a bit in bed, and a fair bit on the 40 minute subway ride to work (not the best environment for reading). I also love that you can read books on completely odd topics, and simply switch gears to a completely different work on the next read.

Wondering what I have been reading over the past month or so:

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan - the story of two young girls in central China in the 18th/19th century whose trials of foot binding (unimaginable), role of women, arranged marriages, mothers, and mother-in-laws. I still want to try fried taro.

Arctic Chill - Jim has always read the book reviews in the weekend papers. I never knew where to start. I picked up one brief paragraph a few weeks ago - an Icelandic detective mystery writer. I had never read a detective novel, nor anything originally translated from Icelandic. Why not? I just checked out another novel by the same author. Easy read, nothing spectacular but a great break between my somewhat more complex books.

The Cellist of Sarajevo - another very interesting read, a Canadian novel about three characters attempting to survive the was in Sarajevo. The origin of the war were never central to the story, but simply a group of people attempting to survive a war in their town, only a few hundred miles from Rome. The idea that the citizens were living a true horror, during my lifetime, a few hours, or even a simply tunnel under the airport away from civilization, clean water and electricity, was simply astounding.

Book of Negros - a Canadian novel, and likely one of my favourite 2009 reads. I truly enjoyed the main character with a beautiful name - Animata, and learned a lot about the slave trade, slavery in the United States and the not-so-brilliant role Canada played in giving a new 'home' to escaped former slaves in Nova Scotia. A wonderful read.

Thirteenth Tale - my most recent novel. I am only about a quarter the way through - I believe it turns out to be a ghost story, but certainly not sure. I have thought about dropping it, but will continue to manage my way through.

I was never a dedicated reader in my free days. I certainly wasn't a reader with really young infants and children - way too exhausted. However, I certainly have found my way. I am loving this new adventure. Who needs television when you have books? Who needs to limit one's imagination when you have free books. I now troll Amazon and reserve books at the library - I have many many books, novels and children books galore pending receipt. Books, all fiction, of all different genres, generations, language (I even attempted to read a Narnia tale in french - gave up because I had just finished reading most of the series in English).

Cheers, to my books.

No comments: