How could it be?
Kate turned 7 last week. Seven seems so old and I can't believe I am a mother to a 7 year old.
I have to say I think she had a wonderful birthday, the whole darn day.
I spent the morning at school - between the sharing assembly and my parent activity playing board games with the kidlets. Of course, the boys were good but got completely distracted by the 'poo' on the wall in the boys bathroom.
I took Kate and a friend out for burgers, fries and milk shakes at the local burger joint - how I love burgers. Kate and I have exactly the same burger mania - cheeseburger, chocolate milk shakes and fries with lots of malt vinegar. It was fun to go out with a little friend as well.
Then, it was home to get the house ready for the arrival of 11 little girls. I never did write about my birthday party planning skills. I originally thought about a dinner out with one friend - a family meal of fun, and potentially a sleepover if the little friend was willing (seven is very young still). It morphed into a cookie decorating party (as part of a silent auction school fundraiser win) with five friends, then seven friends - then added the last four little ones from school at the last minute as Kate was upset that someone's feelings were hurt. Amazingly, the late attendee parents were more than willing to forgo the possibilities of party politics and most were available to attend - alas, 11 little girls. Eleven, screeching little girls - my ear drums were throbbing at one point.
Without a doubt, however, the party made me proud to be a parent. This group of little girls was simply fantastic (aside from the screeching) - a polite, fun little group. They didn't mind I had no prize for the freeze dance episode instead were just ecstatic, post-cookie decorating to simply enjoy leaping about in the backyard to parts of the 'Highschool Musical' soundtrack. The bubbles made them gleeful. Andrew was in seventh heaven with that many girls!
The pumpkin pie (Kate doesn't like cake) wasn't as big a flop as I suspected it could have been - unique tastes for these little ones.
Kate was happy. The gifts were also fabulous. I am not a great arts n'crafts buyer and Kate received lots of it. She jumped into one activity - colouring a bag with markers - and now has several other projects to complete as well.
I was exhausted by 9pm - nodding off, not even wine induced. Kate didn't roll out of bed until well past 8 on Saturday morning.
Will find the pictures and post what I can.
Happy birthday little one!
1 comment:
Sounds like Kate had a lovely, lovely birthday. What wonderful memories you have given her! Looking forward to the pictures. Belated Happy Birthday Kate!
Post a Comment