Last week I trotted off at a very early hour for a follow-up MRI for the acoustic neuroma, vestibular schwannoma or benign intracranial tumor. It is a true misnomer to suggest I have a brain tumor but who understands those terms.
The MRI worked out very well. When you need to be a the hospital at 6am, traffic won't likely hold you up in this city. Also, no queues at the clinic.
They were ahead of schedule so I got to jump right into that machine for the thumping experience for 30 whole minutes. I didn't open my eyes once - I assume you can, but it is not exactly like there is a lot of space in those machines so why make yourself more nervous.
I then went over to the other hospital across the way to pick-up my CD of the scan. Who says the Cdn system is poor? I got my disk for free when the desk opened at 8am. (I spent a gleeful hour reading my book, sipping a cup of coffee.)
With disk in hand, I made it to work a bit late (8:20am) and quickly looked at the scan. You know you are a bit of geek when you can go slice through slice of a MRI scan and find the tumor. I guess the machines at Princess Margaret are simply awesome as no need for enhancement agents to find this little sucker. Not exactly glowing brightly - but still plainly obvious.
I decided little to no change. My assessment was confirmed by my ENT (via email no less) that no growth was noted. For the record, I am curious to read the report as my little fingerwork does suggest it is a bit bigger but am gandering within the realms of normal variance to not raise any flags.
I have my first appointment with the neurosurgeon next Wednesday. I am curious to hear his opinion. I could go for surgery to potentially save my hearing in the left ear but the risk of complete hearing loss is quite high so don't think it is worthy of the risk (aside from the unattractive concept of brain surgery). I will also be interested in hearing his perspective on radiation (Gamma Knife). The conflicting views on the long-term safety of radiation is darn near comical.
I have next hearing test and follow-up with the ENT on June 15th. I do think my hearing has declined a bit - I have issues hearing the television if my good ear is on the couch pillow. So, I typically have to sit up to watch the tv on that couch. However, I thought the same thing in April and my hearing was unchanged as compared to my initial test in January.
I petionned for a 9 month scan (12 month is more of the norm) for the silliest reason. [Who says surgeons are insensitive sods!] If sometime in the next several years, I will need to seek out treatment, I would prefer to know after Christmas but in sufficient time to schedule surgery right before summer. If I have to be off work to recuperate, it might as well be summer.
Always an interesting adventure!
1 comment:
You are handling this so well! I don't know how you do it. You take a potentially scary situation and handle it with grace and humour. Sending you lots of positive thoughts my dear!
Post a Comment