I remember Jim's rules quite clearly from a few years ago when he gave me a slow cooker - no recipes with 'Cream of' soups allowed. I guess he had not so fond memories of many a meal prepared with a can of good old Cream of Mushroom soup. I either didn't grow up with meals prepared with cans of creamed soups, or else, my memories aren't that poignant. I will have to ask my mother whether we were a family of creamed soups.
I remember that rule, and have followed it quite well for the past almost 9 years of marriage, or at least four years of ownership of the slow cooker. Somehow, the rules were changed a few weeks ago. I am happy to report, Jim was the first offender and it turned out all right.
Jim and I decided we wanted comfort food, and tuna casserole seemed like a good start as it should be enjoyed by all. Jim and I both searched the Internet and found the appropriate recipe. I looked at the ingredients, it included several items along with the canned cream of mushroom soup. It seemed worth the risk for a week night meal. It did work out well. Both of us, though, suffered a prolonged moment of utter fear when we realized that the instructions involved, just about exclusively the microwave. In our world, that is pretty much rock bottom - Cream of Mushroom soup casserole made entirely in the microwave. Shockingly, the meal is quite good, was enjoyed by the kidlets and adults alike and repeated again last week.
Fast forward to this evening ... the beef carbonade was a bit behind and regardless, wouldn't be enjoyed by the masses. Add in the many chicken thighs from Costco, a pantry item of none other than, Cream of Mushroom soup as well as a few other stapes yields, according to my daycare recipe book, an invention called Chicken Rice Pilaf. I have to admit, better than the microwaved tuna casserole, and thoroughly enjoyed by all children.
So, I need to apologize to that simple can of creamed soup. You ain't so bad in a pinch.
No comments:
Post a Comment