I can't say Valentine's Day has ever been one of my favourite holidays. Perhaps it is because, during my formative days, I was never in a relationship on Valentine's Day - maybe I just hold a grudge. I do, however, think it is my practical side - why would anyone want to go out on the most expensive night of the social calendar, save perhaps New Year's Day, for a medicore yet overpriced dinner on a tight schedule. Of note, my wonderful husband and I are contemplating a mid-week getaway to NYC in the next few months - a practical reason, a credit on an airline which can be applied to hotels too - but with the guarantee of a few wonderful, quiet, relaxing days.
February 14, 2009
Operational excellence
Happy Valentine's Day 2009!
I can't say Valentine's Day has ever been one of my favourite holidays. Perhaps it is because, during my formative days, I was never in a relationship on Valentine's Day - maybe I just hold a grudge. I do, however, think it is my practical side - why would anyone want to go out on the most expensive night of the social calendar, save perhaps New Year's Day, for a medicore yet overpriced dinner on a tight schedule. Of note, my wonderful husband and I are contemplating a mid-week getaway to NYC in the next few months - a practical reason, a credit on an airline which can be applied to hotels too - but with the guarantee of a few wonderful, quiet, relaxing days.
Nevertheless, operational excellence is the topic at hand. I introduced Kate and Andrew to the wonders of the assembly line last weekend while assembling Valentine's for their classmates. A trip to the dollar store, and candy purchased at Walmart (I think, I didn't buy it) created the inventory for distribution. A carefully planned assembly process, only marginally disrupted by a four year old's interest in pencils yield a table-full yield of dandy looking Valentine loot bags. My inspiration needs to improve though - I only had 43 Valentine's this year, what happens when I have four classes of 20+ kiddos?
I can't say Valentine's Day has ever been one of my favourite holidays. Perhaps it is because, during my formative days, I was never in a relationship on Valentine's Day - maybe I just hold a grudge. I do, however, think it is my practical side - why would anyone want to go out on the most expensive night of the social calendar, save perhaps New Year's Day, for a medicore yet overpriced dinner on a tight schedule. Of note, my wonderful husband and I are contemplating a mid-week getaway to NYC in the next few months - a practical reason, a credit on an airline which can be applied to hotels too - but with the guarantee of a few wonderful, quiet, relaxing days.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment