February 1, 2009

Cute pest control, please?



Tonight, at dinner, I saw a small creature walk by the door. Thinking we had a skunk right up against the door again had me a bit fearful - no door, no matter how hardy can prevent the smell of skunks. I moved a bit closer and turned on the back deck light. I pretty much screeched out 'It is a RAT!', from which my husband barely reacted. I put forth a few extra words - expecting a reaction that it was pretty pathetic to have RAT at your back door.

Then, I checked out the offender - while I have very little experience with rats, the little sucker didn't at all look like the rat from Ratatouille - it was rather course furred, with neat little front paws, a very white face and a long snout. I decided it was a possum - of which my experience with possums is marginal compared to my relative experience with rats.

Sure, enough - a google search yielded the photo. I guess Toronto has possums - who knew? Jim just opened the door and the cute little fellow took off. I had hoped to see the 'play possum' act but he ran. Somehow, silly as it may seem, I hope for the return of the little possum!

Though, cute - I refuse to deal with garbage tonight. I hope I can delegate to my husband.

3 comments:

Arwen said...

That is definitely an opossum! They are cute. If you go near them, they will hiss at you and usually play dead (but not always).

mi said...

We have a HUGE opossum living in our yard. It hasn't bothered us at all, so we just ignore it. We rarely see actually- just once in awhile when we go out to the patio at night. I actually think they are quite cute too.

Jana said...

Opposums scare the daylights out of me. Once when I was a child I was playing in the yard (a 4 acre, very wooded yard) with my friends and we were running through some trees and there hanging upside down was an opposum and a couple of babies and the momma hissed at me. I screamed bloody murder! There is nothing "cute" about those ugly things in my opinion, lol!