January 1, 2009

Welcome 2009



I introduced the children to one of my first, and favourite computer games - 'Railway Tycoon Deluxe'. As I googled earlier today, looking for cheats (there are cheats of course), I learned the game was original released in 1990 - co-incidentally my first year at university. I think I borrowed the 5 1/4 floppy from a friend, and possibly never returned it. I probably spent a few too many hours playing that game. Interestingly, a new version came out last year, with rather amazing graphics, so the company decided to release the original for free. I got my fun game and the Kate and Andrew learned the wonders of railway building. Think Thomas on the computer. Likely not at all healthy, but gosh we had fun. They do learn geography - we covered off the US Eastern seaboard today.

Not to be outdone by fun memories, while I was shopping for stocking stuffers before Christmas, I came upon a game store in the downtown underground. The store had an interesting assortment of board games. The boardgame hound that I am, keenly picked up yet another historical favourtie - 'The Farming Game'. I played that game way way way back in my early teens, perhaps tweens at my neighbours's house. We never owned it. Over the past several years, I have always searched the internet for it but didn't appreciate the cost. I ignored the cost this year - with it simply peeking out from a shelf, I just grabbed it and wrapped it up for my poor husband who truly doesn't like board games.

I guess the one thing that is truly obvious - no wonder I like numbers. Both of these games are purely driven by money, assets, return, investment.

3 comments:

AmyRobynne said...

Oooh, those do look fun!

Anonymous said...

Another game you might like if you enjoy money and investment games is Payday-we spend many an hour on that game-you go thru a calendar month and have all sorts of financial pitfalls and gains! We played it as kids with the original game that is now 40 years old and I bought the updated game a few years ago that is more inline with todays prices and just as fun!

Jana said...

OMG, I play these games in real life all day long. I can't imagine a worse way to spend my free time. :) I do look forward to playing the Life with the boys, I always enjoyed that one!