January 17, 2009

A weighty issue

This household is definitely in the 'if you don't need it, don't buy it' mode. We needed a new bathroom scale, and have needed one since the last spun its dial for the last time a few months ago. I had thought about buying one a few weeks ago but just couldn't let myself break the rule. I finally decided this morning, before we took everyone to the mall for the Gymboree Bucks sale (the children NEED clothing), that a scale is now warranted.

One might wonder - how does a family break a bathroom scale? I inherited the scale from a housemate at university. (To be honest, I believe I owe that housemate a few dollars for the phone and scale I acquired - bad debt by now I guess.) Since I graduated from university in 1994, the scale has made it across many years, several apartments and homes, and four pregnancies. It was doing half decently until the plastic broke a few moves ago. A subsequent move lost the plastic covering. A curious child then snapped the hand on the scale down to a little nubby, thus, rendering the contraption practically useless. I did draw lines on the scale so that the little nub could translate into a weight but the range of accuracy would have been quite large.

A few weeks ago, I decided to throw the sucker out. We had space in our garbage bin (now, garbage is a whole other adventure with the plastic mega-bins on wheels ... but will leave that for another day) so it went out one Tuesday morning.

So, despite the profound level of budgeting (in part, a big game of how much can you not buy on a trip to the mall), I bought a basic new scale today. The excitement!

The bad news - since the last known weigh-in, I have put on a few pounds. Who would have known? I guess the sheer lack of activity, the new regiment of birth control, Christmas cheer, and the Subway '5-Dollar Footlong!', I am heavier than I was in October, and certainly heavier than I went back to work in June.

Reality check - less food, more exercise!

No comments: