July 12, 2008

Lemonade stand

Probably should be in bed right now, but since I have three almost sleeping children, way past their bedtime, attempting to sleep in our bed - I am up for a bit longer. I am praying the puking incident that cleared Andrew & Deckles room, won't repeat this evening.

On Friday, Andrew's last day at daycare, the kindie kiddos participated in a lemonade stand sale in the daycare building, a downtown core high rise tower. The proceeds were raised for The Magic Castle, a free child-minding service at the Princess Margaret Hospital (cancer centre) in Toronto - for the use family members of the patients in the hospital for day treatment. A great cause - and one of my favourite baby room teachers from Kathleen's days is the leader of the centre.

Parents volunteered to help with the kiddos and the daycare teachers made all the lemonade. The building provided stands and some great advertisement for the event. I wasn't sure how Andrew, or any of his little peers would handle the event - too shy, too many people, too scared. I shouldn't have been concerned. Andrew took on the event with gusto never witnessed by me, or any of his teachers. He was the best little salesman. He would take a cup of lemonade, walk into the crowd and block the passer-bys way until they purchased his cup of lemonade. The soft voice - 'lemonade, only $1' had to the get them every time. He had a few non-takers (typically men), but very few passed his grips without a sale. As soon as he had the money in his hands, he returned it to the bucket, and sought out his next customer with another cup of lemonade. This continued for almost 45 minutes. I was trying to shadow his every move, but just couldn't keep up - he was a busy, fast-moving dude.

He did get a bit confused when the stand ran out of lemonade - he started returning money to the random passer but we nipped that one in the bud. Several pictures were taken so I am hoping to get a snapshot of this little man - he surprised me, and I am still smiling at the memory of his first sales job.

PS... and we kicked the Crystal Light's promotion stand butt for the cuteness factor. The cutesy girls had nothing on these preschoolers!

No comments: