From the Toronto Star earlier this week:
... women whose primary caregiver at birth was a midwife rated their labour and birth experiences as "very positive" 71 per cent of the time while those cared for by obstetricians, gynaecologists, family doctors or nurses and nurse practitioners only gave the very positive rating 53 per cent of the time.
Statistics Canada did a limited survey of birthing experiences of women last year and midwifery care came out on top. My experiences would certainly mirror the results. I loved my whole maternity care, labour & delivery and post-natal care with my midwives. They were awesome and made a huge difference. I can't say the same with the OB/GYN delivered babes.
My first two kiddos were born with a very senior OB/GYN at one of the premiere hospitals in Toronto. I can't say I have many fond memories of my experience with the practice or the hospital. Don't get me wrong, the doctor was very kind and quiet - and very experienced. I never feared for my health or the health of my babies.
Nevertheless, prenatal appointments were rushed, and always late; labour was never discussed in advance, nor was breastfeeding; labour & delivery was medicalized, routine and tended to by caregivers to whom I have no memory of name; and post-natal care while still in the hospital, seriously lacking. I do have healthy babies, which is obviously key - but no real inspiring moments for me as a mother.
I think my key memories are the lack of sensitivity after Kathleen's birth - low blood sugar because no food at 11pm, a silly nurse saying I should get my butt out of bed to go to the breastfeeding seminar at 9am after an 11pm delivery, no food as of yet, and a 3rd degree tear which I firmly believe wasn't necessary, a lead-on effect of epidurals and never properly explained. Andrew was much better as I felt better (and brought better food) - but the ped who forgot to sign our discharge papers and held us up for five hours until we were able to get the papers sign was a bit much. We almost left on 'Against Medical Advice'.
Midwifery was so different and so much more pleasurable. I love the idea of informed consent - I am an educated woman, and having choice is a great thing. Prenatal care was incredible - very few delays, long appointments, a social chit-chat - I loved learning about my midwives backgrounds (Iranian and English trained). It would be interesting to hear from the first time moms whether they were less afraid of labour & delivery as a result of the care provided by midwives. I was relatively experienced when I switched care so am not the best example.
The birth experience was also amazing. I think it is impressive that natural child birth - the oh so terrified idea by the masses - led to a 71% 'very positive' birth experience. Natural child birth is awesome with the proper support and lack of fear mongering by the general public but also by the OB/GYNs and hospital staff. It has shown to produce (for low risk moms, of course) healthier babies, fewer labour complications, lower c-section rates, better breastfeeding relationships, and obviously happier moms! Home birthing (which I never did) enhances those stats even more. I think it also very cool to be home only a few hours after the babe's birth - and have a midwives come visit you for the first several days at home, in your pjs!
I do hope these type of studies increases the coverage of midwifery care in Canada. I think it is incredible
2 comments:
Ann, for my pics, use the last name Ashford.
Sorry I missed this post by over a week! I didn't see that study - I miss getting the Star!
I just filled out and sent in my birth experience survey a couple of weeks ago and it was all "extremely satisfied" for every question. I think it would have been about the same for Andrew's birth, and I KNOW I wouldn't feel the same way, no matter how well things would have gone, if I'd been with a doc in the hospital. I've been lucky to have had two great experiences, even if Andrew's birth was physically hard. I attribute that entirely to my choice in using midwives, and also to the home birth choice.
Post a Comment