November 21, 2007

Two steps forward, one step back

We made progress today.

For the past THREE months, we have been discussing the mechanical system (aka HVAC system) for the renovated house. We currently have big old radiators with a gas boiler and NO air conditioning (well, other than the two terribly undersized window units). We decided to rip out the old radiator system to free up floor space (big & ugly radiators) and put in vents.

I discovered with my father's help that a huge grant is available from both the federal and provincial grant if you install a ground source heat pump (aka geothermal system). This is the most efficient heating & cooling source - think zero impact heating - an environmentally sound decision but (of course) with a huge price tag. The big drill rig, that would need to bore 200 foot vertical holes for the tubing mightn't have pleased the neighbours either.

While the price tag was terrifying (in concept, and then in reality), it was more the lack of timely response and the vagueness from the installers and drillers that caused me more of concern. We would also then be somewhat of a going-between with these sub-trades and our contractor - an added stress.

Once again, my father came to the resuce - how about an air pump, with high tech zoning systems, a back-up gas furnace, big time air purifiers - all with an environmental bend smart system once Toronto installs its Smart Metres (soon). It sounds awesome. Even better, my contractors main mechanical designer (aka designer dude - I have such high technical names for these people) LOVES the system (he still thinks that geothermal is by far the most efficient - just not cost balanced at this point) - even the brand, has designed several and knows who my contractor has used in several installs in the past few months for other jobs. Not that I will even really see the subtrade team - I have already met one of them (think big biker dude but really nice - nasty divorce, why do I always get all the details) Nevertheless, WIN WIN WIN!!!!

I will sleep like a baby tonight - no more late night internet surfing on HVAC chat boards for me (I was thinking about creating a log-in at 2am last night 'HVAC Annie' but thought otherwise and went to bed, well to Deckie's bean bag - whole other story.)

Step back you ask - my hot water heater was condemmed today by the gas company. Who knew that my venting device for the gas water heater was cracked and thus at risk for carbon monoxide leaks. (Did I ever mention my CO monitors went off several months ago - makes you think.) Don't come near my house tomorrow - we mightn't smell so pretty.

1 comment:

Jana said...

Glad you got the HVAC worked out and good luck with the gas situation. We have gas and electric at our present house and I have nightmares about the CO2 moniter going off. Now, onward with the fun stuff like interior paint colors and cabinet designs! We are supposed to break ground on our house on Monday but are running into a couple of snags ourself with paperwork. Apparently, mortgage laws are being re-written by the day and we aren't "allowed" to build our own house here in TX. We just have to re-do some paperwork but still, I just want to say "We have the money to do this or we wouldn't be doing it. Don't you know us?! Who cares about your stupid laws, they don't apply here!" Anyway...