June 3, 2007

Sometimes, at the oddest times

... you discover your kiddos have some rather interesting skills!

Deckie decided that sleep wasn't part of yesterday's routine. He took a quick nap around 9am (after getting up really early) but chose to remain awake the remainder of the day. While I was able to get him to sleep very easily around 7:30pm, it just wasn't to be by 10:30pm. Just after I had crawled into bed, the crying began. With the pending of arrival of a little bro, I have been rather diligent about not responding to his mid-night cries too promptly. Several times, he has drifted back to sleep within just a few vocalizations. Last night wasn't so - after 10 minutes of the most pitiful cries for 'Mommmaaaaaaa', sleep for either of us wasn't to be. I gave up and took the little bugger downstairs. I wasn't pleased in the least.

I turned the Baby Einstein's Baby MacDonald on for Deckie while I rested on the very hard floor. Deckie was ecstatic to be watching television, jumping around, screeching, repeating animal noises I didn't think he knew. The amazing thing, though, was how he selected the 'Old MacDonald' song on his music box to play at the same time as the DVD. He had to hit the main song selector several times to come up with the correct music. I was baffled he recognized tunes so well. Who knew?

Ones frustrations with their kiddos certainly does disappear very quickly when you realize how fast they grow up and how they absorb information from their environment. This little 17 month old, despite his horrid sleeping habits, is a bright little light bulb who is quickly picking up on all kinds of different triggers in his environment. I was also amazed at how he rotated the music cube (six sided music box, all in different colours) looking for the 'main' button that switches the songs [the other five sides turn on or off the various instruments].

Deckie and I went back to bed at about midnight - I placed him in his bed and I cozied up on the rocking chair. He slowly found his place, stopped his crying and laid down to sleep. I stayed put until just past 2am - a bit uncomfortable but at least quiet.

... I will admit, though, I didn't budge one muscle this morning when Deckie decided that a pre-5am wake-up call was in order. The golfing husband got up with the little guy (aka bugger). I slept until the glorious hour of 7:30am! I am still exhausted.

No comments: