March 18, 2007

One banged up head!

Well Declan is putting us to a test. He is an escape artist extraordinaire, he climbs, he walks, he pulls things out of every corner of the house and he FALLS!!!!

I don't remember Andrew or Kathleen being so prone to injuries as this little man. He is unbelievable. You can expect some catastrophic tumble whenever he is awake. Yesterday, he fell down two stairs and earned a goose-egg like I have never seen before - about 15 minutes before we were due to depart for a birthday party. It swelled up into a 1 inch diameter blue spot within 5 minutes (I also bruise very easily). This tumble was after I must have moved him away from the stairs about 5-6 times during the other pair's bathtime. I finally asked (yelled???) at poor Jim to come help. Wouldn't you know - both of us were within 10-15 feet of the kid and neither of us were watching him. He went and repeated the tumble this morning (so now the blueish-grey bump from yesterday has a new red bump on top).

It doesn't help that last week I was cooking in the kitchen and lost sight of the little one for but a few seconds and soon heard splashing in the upstairs toilet. I was certain the critter had gotten bottoms-up in the toilet. I have never raced so fast up the stairs (fell three times in my sock feet) to find him joyfully stirring up the toilet water. [Reminder - must get Kathleen to both flush and close the lid after use!] I have a bruise on my thigh, my knee and my ankle but thankfully the little one was gleeful about his escape and discovery.

In order to facilitate movement in the main part of the house (we have doors so a big chunk of the house can be blocked-in), we are utilizing the massive water cooler bottles as a gate at the back door. We can all climb over but Deckie hasn't quite figured out the up-and-over scramble. I am sure we only have a few more weeks. He is, though, able to find the empty ones if I have been too lazy to replace an empty one with a full one from storage!

I think it is time to install the gates - bless the beautiful wood in this house, but the kid's head is just a bit more important.

1 comment:

mi said...

Wow does that sound familiar! Logan is always hurting himself, namely biting his tongue. We are big believers in baby gates and frozen peas. It's gotta pass, right?