March 4, 2007

Renovations - still planning

But, getting closer!

We submitted our plans to the city for its review. This review should take about two weeks (or maybe four) and will identify any zoning and by-law variances we have. We know we have one variance - Gross Floor Area (GFA) - which will trigger a 'Committee of Adjustment' review. I would be surprised (and the architect embarrassed) if we have any other variances. As long as this review (called a 'PAL') is done quickly, we will apply for our Committee meeting - the next meeting we can even queue for would be on April 22 (or so).

It is at this committee that our neighbours can fight our intentions as we do need an exception from the by-law. Our plans call for a 310 sq. ft variance to the by-law requirements (or about 5.5% over allotment to the permissible size). The variance is equivalent to the size of our garage (i.e. we could take down our free-standing garage and the neighbours couldn't say one word); however, we decided that the 300 sq. feet provided by our garage is critical to our lives (bicycles, lawn furniture, shovels, lawn mower, strollers and other misc. storage) so we don't want to lose the area.

I got the final plans (on HUGE paper) on Saturday and I am so excited about the prospect of renovating the house. Once we get through Committee, we will move on to the 'fun' stuff of renovating - kitchen design, flooring, HVAC, bathrooms, windows - you name it, I really want to have fun with this (because I know it won't always be fun!)

The big thorn in my side is the 'home-away-from-home' - where will we move while they are gutting this house. We aren't planning to start before September 1 (but before Oct. 15) so I have time to get this all sorted out!

1 comment:

Jana said...

Yowza, that is alot of hoops to jump through for what, 310 sq.ft.? Hope it all goes smoothly and as planned. I will be living vicariously through you. Dh and I have looked at a couple of fixers in the last 2 months in the neighborhood we would like to live in but haven't been able to agree on the right house/lot combo. I am itching for a project right now though. But our house is pretty impeccable in terms of layout and size for what we need right now so we are pretty content. It just doesn't "need" anything and I am bored!