I have to admit I have been relishing the comments on how good I look for 27 weeks and on the fourth - still love the one that I 'get skinner when pregnant' and even 'cute'. I am 5'9" and cute isn't exactly something I get all the time. However, my little blissful thinness was shocked to reality earlier this week when the midwife (my first meeting with one of the two 'back-up' midwives) mentioned I was measuring four weeks behind my dates and that an ultrasound is necessary to ensure the little babe is growing well.
The rationale side of me (which is still winning the battles!) does convince me that all is fine. I am tall and relatively thin, and very healthy (and likely less stressed in other parts of my life during this pregnancy than any of the previous 'bouts'). I have always had very healthy, decent-sized kiddos - and have always measured slightly behind as I have a long waist and wide hips.
Nevertheless, the irrational side does take over every so often. What if I babe is an IUGR baby? What does a 4lb full term baby look like? Would they induce early? Gosh, really don't want a 33 weeker either. The irrational side is also saying 4 weeks is a lot and I don't meet any of the possibilities of carrying the baby odd - as this little one remains breech (I felt his head at the appointment). I lie flat on my back - and my belly practically disappears into a little bubble (I fall apart standing up). I certainly don't have tight abs after four kiddos in five years. I have woken up several times on my back (I prefer to sleep on my back) and 'freak' a tad that I am depriving the babe of necessary blood flow/oxygen (midwives have told me I will feel ill before the baby could ever be hurt) ... but still.
After checking my home voicemail endlessly over the past few days, the midwifery practice left a message this afternoon that my ultrasound is Tuesday at 8:30am (great time too!). Thankfully, the older babes will keep me busy all weekend and the Tuesday encounter will arrive very soon.
Will try to keep the irrational side at bay for a few more days.
1 comment:
I hope that everyone looks good at your next ultrasound. My guess is running after 3 kids is keeping you from gaining a lot. I have the opposite problem. I have had 5 ultrasounds, yet I am seriously considering that I might SOMEHOW have twins in there. I am bigger now at 6 months than I was with the last at 9 months. Its really uncomfortable! Keep us updated!
Post a Comment