August 7, 2011

While on vacation,

Eat frozen burgers.

While I don't think I am a food snob, I am getting to the point where I am.  It isn't about expensive food - it is about avoiding crappy food.  This house hasn't had take-out pizza (in the house) in almost 2 years (except the Boston Pizza with the mover guys when we had no dishes during the move).  Jim began making his own dough in the fall of 2009; we purchased the pizza stone that Christmas and have been eating homemade low-fax mozza pizza with salami, olives, mushrooms, artichokes, sun dried tomatoes, or an assortment thereof ever since.

We also start making our own burgers.  It first started with ground angus beef/sirloin from the grocery store.  It has evolve to home ground up flank and sirloin, 'nothing added' burgers - a pure experience of beef in a bun.  My husband calls them some of the most expensive burgers in town.  Jim even made homemade buns a few times but we haven't figured out how to make the buns small so we reverted to grocery buns.

When we went on vacation, I bought as pure a frozen grocery burger as I could.  I wasn't sure how homemade beef patties would withstand the trip over the mountains.  While they may not have made the trip, at least they would have tasted good.  These expensive grocery burgers were downright awful - a compaction of crappy ground beef embraced by a terrible binding agent (I didn't look at the package.)

So, we are home again.  Fresh back from a vacation, with the goal reinforced of limiting processed foods in the house.  I made banana bread today and am thinking about homemade granola.  Not sure we will get to homemade yogurt or even homemade bread (which I would love to accomplish) - but as least processed as this family can possibly achieve.  We aren't perfect but are at least moving in the right direction.

No comments: