March 12, 2011

Skating, hooked

Kate competed in her first skating competition today. Kate started skating a few years ago, but has been skating in a more focused 2 day a week program since September. We continued a similar program in Calgary when we arrived here a few weeks ago.

I sent the video to my sister who giggled (hmmm, cackled) and said she was hooked and we were done. Her daughter, Elise, a few months older than Kate, is a very intensive skater with many hours of private coaching each week, both individual and synchro skating. She knows what she is talking about!

I was so proud of Kate today. As a working mom, I rarely get to see Kate skate. In Toronto, she skated early on Saturday mornings so I spent time each weekend watching Kate skate. The program here is different - every Tuesday and Thursday at 4-5pm. I don't get to see her skate. She has improved so much since she started in September, and maybe even more so since she started with this new club in Calgary.



Kate was so excited when she got off the ice - 'can I compete again?' (And, yes, that is the boys laughing in the background, namely Sir Seanie.)

The girl is taking flight.

No comments: