September 25, 2010

Home sweet home!

Jim came home on Friday. No IV attachments. I watched the nurse remove his last tether. I was gleeful, I wouldn't even imagine how happy Jim felt to be 'healthy' and free. Obviously, healthy isn't the way we would describe the guy - he remains on extremely high doses of oral antibiotics with follow-ups with an infectious disease specialist due to the extent and seriousness of the infection as well as an endocrinologist due to elevated liver enzyme due to the infection and required drug intervention to fix the problem.

As I mentioned in the last post, I am thankful. Jim's initial doctor (from the first admittance) was simply awesome. Her humour was very much appreciated (my moto should be, when the going gets tough, I crack a joke!) but her practical approach was exceptionally appreciated. (Many doctors aren't reknown for their bedside manner.) Her commitment to her patients was unbelievable. Prior to his release, I attempted to track her down through the ER and the various floors I knew she had patients - to no avail. We have her email address so will track her down electronically.

The nursing and medical team were great too - friendly and energetic. Jim would spend some time each day in the cafeteria or the hospital coffee shop. He was always saying hi (and thank you) to many different people that walked by - whether it was a nurse who took an interest in Jim's eclectic reading list, the ultrasound technician, the ER clerk or the porter - the health care team that made up this city hospital was great.

The doctor was adamant in her belief in that despite the delapidated inner city Toronto hospital (i.e. a dump), the care provided was second to none. I believe it! Not sure I want to spend any time at that hospital again any time soon (but know the location of all cool parking spots now!), but will willingly return if an emergency strikes this family again.

Just please, please, please - not too soon!

2 comments:

cg said...

yeayy so glad Jim is home safe and that the worst of this nightmare can be joked about!

Floor Resurfacing Toronto said...

Hi,
thank you for your great post. I really appreciate the efforts you have put in your blog .It is interesting and helpful.
Good luck with it!!!
Richmond Hill House for Sale