The last post was titled 'Always an adventure'. To be honest, this little trek has been way too adventurous, and I want off this train now.
I called 911 on Sunday night after my husband collapsed and had what we now know was an allergic reaction to the IV penicillin he had been prescribed. The home nurse was switching and flushing the IV lines when Jim felt a burning sensation in his arm and head, nauseous, light headed and then promptly collapsed on the (very small) nurse. After we both got him down on the floor, I called 911. His open fixed eyes, the quivering and the odd breathing noises made me utterly panic. I will never forget what I saw, and will never be able to think about it without bringing tears to my eyes.
Thankfully, the 911 dispatcher was very calm and exceptionally helpful. He asked for an update on Jim which the home nurse provided quick responses indicating his breathing was returning to normal and he was becoming more alert. It took the ambulance and fire truck just over three minutes to reach the house. Twenty minutes later, under his own power but helped by the two big paramedics, he walked out of the house to the stretcher and returned to the hospital from which he had only been discharged 48 hours earlier (and visited earlier in the day because of the very new penicillin reaction).
Two days later, he is feeling much much better. Again, the system worked very well, albeit a tad slower than I would have preferred. He had a CT scan yesterday to rule out a pulmonary embolism as well as third repeat ultrasound to rule out both blood clots in his legs as well as abscesses at the cellulitis site. He has remained on cardiac monitoring systems as the collapse has been recognized as a serious and unusual event. While he looks good, his energy level remains at likely 25% of normal. His stroll outside for a coffee (with his IV in tow) was about as much activity as he could manage. His two days at home last weekend simply exhausted him (this house with four small children is a buzz of high activity). It took just about 24 hours to get him moved out of the ER. The ER of a big city community hospital is just indescribable. He was placed on a different ward this time, probably more general medicine, as compared to geriatric palliative care last week, which has provided a more restful environment. Jim referred to the last ward as his 'house of horrors' as geriatric palliative care is rather disturbing. After the last episode, the doctor will not release him to home care and will only come home once the IV antibiotics (not penicillin!) are no longer required, and oral antibiotics will support his recovery.
My father arrived yesterday and my mom arrives tomorrow. My work has been tremendously supportive. I have only cried to the girls! The children continue to surprise with their resilience. My father (as my relatives will agree) has shown miraculous levels of patience - and has become the prime destination of cuddles. (OK - the Indian Jones movie set certainly helped win over the hearts of the more reluctant!).
I am blessed. My husband is lucky. My family is infinitely loving and extremely supportive. Our circle of friends amazing. The doctor who is responsible for his care is simply awesome.
Jim will be home soon and life will eventually return to normal.
911 works.
I am thankful.
3 comments:
Oh Ann! I am so sorry for all that your hubby has been through and you in the process! HUGS and I am so glad you have such a wonderful support system in place. I hope he is free from all infection soon and back to his usual strength!
How frightening! I hope he is now on a speedy road to recovery. Thank goodness you have a support system in place. Hang in there.
Good heavens that must have been so very stressfull, i am so glad that all worked out well and that Jim is on the mend. Thank heavens for good support systems.
Post a Comment