Wow, blog - a bit of a hiatus. The lack of posting isn't from a lack of news, events or other fun stuff, just a bout of writer's block and one tired momma.
In the past month, since the last entry, this family has accomplished a lot including two birthdays (happy 8th birthday to Kate and happy 3rd birthday to Sean), a gardening weekend of spring planting and herb container gardening, a girls' trip to San Francisco with my mom and sister, graduation to a no-diaper family, a new Kindie teacher for Declan, and a fair bit of time spent on soccer pitches.
Oh, and I guess, Deckie lost his red cast, and Seanie earned a very 'sturdy' cast on his leg.
Not much more to tell really, Sean and Deckie were fooling about in the basement and Sean hurt his foot. For the record, they were not jumping down stairs or off furniture.
We always suggest a sleep-off to determine the true extend of injury but that strategy only lasted until 11pm. Thirty minutes later, after an extended bout of crying about his now quite swollen and very sore foot, Seanie and I headed for the local ER. Reassurance from the nurse that this 'bizarre' swelling certainly was worthy of an ER trip, a discussion with the ER doctor, 3 right foot xrays and a soft temporary cast, Seanie and I were sent on our way at 2am, with instructions to return to the Fracture Clinic for 7 am sharp the following morning (to beat the queues). I actually thought that was a spectacular turnaround for an ER visit!
Very tired mother and puffy-eyed son were the first 'casting' of the day at the fracture clinic - orthopedic surgeon said no break was visible but with feet this young, it is very difficult to tell the extend of injury. With the extensive swelling, Seanie was given a soft cast that is very sturdy, which I now interpret as pretty friggin' heavy. We have a return appointment scheduled for this Monday.
Jayne now almost has a baby back in the house as Sean can't walk and only crawls. He is industrious, however, and can make it up and down stairs when he wants to get somewhere (and apparently, only when I am not home). My arms are stretched and sore from carrying the boy - I think the cast must add 5-8 lbs to his 30lbs. frame. As always, a ray of sunshine to every story, Destructo Man now moves so much slower and is incapable of creating his common path of destruction.
I am now off to research the comfort of fully waterproof casts or start planning the backup plan in the event we aren't going camping in less than 10 days.
2 comments:
wow Anne, those boys certainly do keep you very busy ;-) here is to hoping that you can find some waterproof alternatives for the summer camp to go ahead!
My goodness, you've had a lot going on! He's so cute with his cast though!
Post a Comment