I will not suggest I read stories to the kidlets at night, because I don't. Every now and again, a child will get a bedtime story; however, in general, we listen to CDs or iPods at bedtime. Andrew's story either stopped this evening or ended, not sure which one. As I marched upstairs to fix the story, I realize, as with so many things with young children, I will not go upstairs for too many more years. At one point, in the very much too near future, my children will not need me to reset their CDs and will definitely not ask me for anything technical. I might as well love it while I can, and remember it forever!
So, what do the kidlets like to listen to each night.
Hands down, Seanie is the most vocal about choosing stories. His current favourites are Mercy Watson, the Boy (aka Mozart's Magnificent Voyage), or The Great Discovery (Thomas).
Declan, unfortunately, chooses an assortment of those options, but would rather listen to Star Wars stories. He also likes Jack and Annie (Magic Treehouse), Ralph S Mouse and Henry Huggins.
Andrew is an exclusive Star Wars boy - a three disk package, and we just rotate the CD each night. Tonight we are listening to disk 2 (after disk 1 hit a funk).
Kate shows some variety. She too likes Mercy Watson (great stories, and likely my favourite), Star Wars but recently listened to Anne of Green Gables and Roald Dahl stories. I am never quite sure which story she might choose.
Different whimpers or complaints suggest different issues with the CDs. Seanie will sometimes travel about the second floor if his story has finished before he falls asleep (he still naps). I just heard him, the bright green fiberglass cast thumping about gives his location away. The others will be fast asleep long before their stories finish.
2 comments:
We have many of the same favorites here. We just discovered Mercy Watson -- I was pleased to see that the short chapters, big text, and abundant illustrations mean that it's the first chapter book Leo will sit down and read.
We've listened to many Roald Dahl and Beverly Cleary books on tape/CD during long car rides -- they must be more easily found than many other authors. We don't often read them at home, but love listening to them.
Peter has gone through E.B. White's books recently and we've read some Narnia books and the Hobbit. Peter can go through a Magic Treehouse book in an hour -- I check at least 3 out at every visit to the library.
Both boys are huge Star Wars fans, but haven't gotten into Star Wars books yet. Is there a series/version of them for the lower elementary age crowd?
I've never heard of Mercy Watson...must add that to the list! I do read to the girls at bedtime but sometimes Miss A will listen to stories on CD in the afternoon while Miss G naps. We also listen to lots of stories on the iPod in the car during long road trips. Favourite stories on CD include the Ralph S. Mouse and the Ramona stories as well as Paddington Bear. We also discovered that Shel Silverstein's poetry (Where the Sidewalk Ends, etc.) is very amusing to listen to and is narrated by Shel himself.
I'd love to hear more of your suggestions. With our drive to BC coming up shortly, I'm planning a trip to the library for some new stories. Miss A gets carsick (a legacy from me I'm afraid) so colouring, drawing, even watching movies while we drive doesn't really work for her. We discovered that listening to stories is the best way to make the time fly. And I enjoy them too!
I've been thinking about you a lot lately my dear. Looking forward to your posts about camping with the kidlets!
Post a Comment