November 3, 2009

What a relief!

I can fret, I can panic, and I can over-analyze. I am a mother.

One of my many moments of pseudo-panic (won't say it overwhelms my life), is high school. Since Kate is only in Grade 2 and Sean is over two years away from even entering the public school system, I know it is a bit premature to fret about the quality of the local high school. It doesn't stop me!

We live in a great public school district. The junior/middle school is one of the better ones in the city; the parents are tremendously involved; and the facilities are just about ten years old. It is a nice, safe and progressive school.

The high school, is well, much much much bigger. With something like 2,000 students, a big building and just lots and lots of teenagers, I am simply terrified. So, I asked questions of pretty much any friend or acquaintance if their teenage children attend Toronto high schools. Most of the time, it seems, most parents are happy with the high school. My recent bits of information have helped with the outlook.

On Saturday, while we were trick or treating, I saw a teenage group, dressed up and pushing a shopping cart. When they showed up a my door asked for donations for the food bank, I was a bit in awe. I was a pretty good teenager but that would never have crossed my mind. [I donated some great stuff to this lot, but also shuffled off the lupini beans, hope someone knows how to deal with those suckers.] I leapt at the chance for my round of questions. This girl at the door, in Grade 12 attends the local high school and LOVES it. It is big, but you get use to it quickly. She is not sure of where she will attend school next year but seems happy and eager. She likes the education. She probably thinks I was a bit off my rocker! Nevertheless, I did get all that in a minute or less.

So, now thinking I can handle high school. How many more years?

No comments: