September 20, 2008

A rocky week

The week has finished. What a week!

With a job at an investment bank, in a position that is completely tied to the markets - it was one heck of a week. Most of the time, I was utterly oblivious to the market gyrations as we struggled to simply follow exposure to this failing company or that teetering one. I did learn a lot though - always good to be in the trenches, seeing and touching the daily transactions (even if you don't completely understand it all).

We survived - a bit of a huge bump yesterday that I will deal with all Monday - but all in all we did just fine. Funny though - from the open of markets on September 12 to the close of markets on September 19th, nothing at all really changed. I got an email yesterday showing that we really did nothing all week - the markets barely moved over that period - I think the DOW was down a 50 points overall. I am gandering Monday will be another day.

On the way out of the office last night at 9:15pm, I grabbed a bottle of wine that has been sitting in my office drawer for the last few months from some sort of congratulations of good effort a few months ago - couldn't go home without some form of alcohol. Thankfully, my firm doesn't buy cheap wine.

1 comment:

mi said...

What a rough week! Hopefully the long hours won't continue, and you will have more time at home.