September 5, 2008

Bullying

I have had a busy week at work so have been a bit missing from the family events this week. I was taken aback last week when Jim told me that Kate was bullied by two Grade 3 kiddos from our old street on Thursday during morning recess. My instantaneous reactions was to get up and run home to save my little girl. I was practically in tears.

I gander Kate was in the playground on Thursday when these two other kiddos came over started teasing her, saying she was going to get in trouble, invading her personal space, coughing and spitting on her and trying to pull up her t-shirt. She had a little friend with her and she too was affected by their antics.

Unfortunately, it happened again on Friday afternoon - after the morning assembly on being safe at school and what to do if bullied.

I know the two kids - a girl and a boy - because they lived on the old townhouse street where we lived during the renovation. We had similar issues while we lived there, to the point we would avoid going outside into the common space if they were out together. We had one instance where the two convinced Kate to get off her bicycle at which time, they took the bike and threw it in the bushes and wouldn't let her get it; or they grabbed the handle bars so she couldn't ride the bike. It wasn't only Kate who was affected - they would ride their bicycles or peddle vehicles into Deckles & Andrew's bicycles, attempt to cut them off as they were riding. The father of the boy was always out and clearly insight of all these issues. I even spoke to him once, can't remember the details, but said it was inappropriate behaviour and that his child was bullying my children. He was nonreactive. The mother of the girl was rarely out with the children so wouldn't have ever witnessed any of this behaviour. Jim and I decided to simply avoid them as we would be moving shortly, and it wasn't worth an awkward encounter.

I guess we were wrong.

On Friday evening, I wrote Kate's teacher an email about the situation indicating that we wanted it managed proactively. I also wanted to know the escalation policy. I think, in hindsight, my email was a bit demanding but don't owe much leeway - this is my little baby. Bless the teacher, we had an answer by Saturday morning indicating it would be escalated to the vice-principal. Have I said how much I like Kate's teacher.

Today, Monday, Kate and her little friend were called to the office. The girl was asked to apologize; she attempted to denying any involvement but did admit to rough-housing. Her parents will be called this evening. I gander the process will repeat itself when the boy returns to school tomorrow. Interestingly, the boy, whose behaviour I trust less, has already been involved in several incidents in the first four days of school, his first four days at this school. Yikes.

I think Kate really appreciated the swift action. She really questioned why the children wouldn't stop even though she asked. She didn't understand why anyone would bullying after the Vice Principal's presentation on Friday morning. Poor darling. She was very worried when I left for work today about recess today. I keep telling her she did the right thing to tell us, bullying is wrong and that the teachers would help her.

I haven't heard one peep about bullying today. I do hope this issue is well well behind us for a few more years.

1 comment:

Jen H. said...

I too hope it's behind you. Obviously those other kids have some behaviour issues, and being in school is going to make their parents have to do something about it. Good for you for standing up for your child.