August 9, 2008

What you complaining about?

Sometimes I feel a bit overwhelmed with my chosen lot in life - work, four young kiddos, the move, the reno, the husband who works out of town - sometimes it seems like a big mountain to climb.

I find comfort, and a shock of reality, in blogs. You can find every imaginable (and unimaginable)story within the blogsphere. I find strength from these complete strangers as they deal with unbelievable obstacles in life - my life has little problems that just don't deserve a ruffled feather.

For a chunk of the spring, I read Tricia's story - a young CF mom, her micro preemie Gwyneth, and the double lung transplant that has extended her life to watch her babe grow bigger and healthier, hopefully for years to come. Their story has become less acute, but no less challenging as they face the next obstacle of CF and post-transplant.

And then, you find the more 'normal' - pretty darn boring people (it is good to be boring) whose lives are shaken by an odd bump in the proverbial road of life. I list my fellow blogger Cari (whose blog I actually started because she seemed a fair bit like me - a bunch of little kiddos who blogged ... pretty darn boring I say, with a smile) who has beaten breast cancer, but without a heck of slog this past year, and more slogging to come to stay healthy. Actually, she painted a pretty darn positive(not quite the right word) picture of dealing cancer.

And, then, from Cari's blog - her friend Andrea - again, a pretty normal soul as I can gander, who learned at a 20 week ultrasound that her little precious son had a non-viable disorder. Her story of his life - less than an hour - was touching and but so grounded, and absorbed with immense dignity.

Overall, these people, and so many more stories of lost children, cancer fighters, sick husbands/wives, show how incredibly strong the human spirit truly is in the face of undesirable challenges. I read their stories and think I could never ever cope. I am envious of their strength.

As an aside, I believe, many many of these people's stories have included an incredible amount of faith - most are Christian, but I am not certain that is what judges ones strength. Their commitment to their faith seems to make their struggles more manageable. I am envious, and highly respectful, of the comfort their faith provides.

So, as I face a mountain of laundry, fighting children and a 'To Do' list a few miles long - I know I have absolutely nothing to complain about in my little life.

Strength to those who face real challenges this week - I am thinking of you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if you know that I consider you a source of inspiration. Your daily struggles may seem small compared to some of those you described, but I feel encouraged when I read them. I find myself thinking about you at odd times during the day and remind myself that what you can do with four young ones, I certainly should be able to do with two!

Undomestic said...

Thank you for your very kind words. Without my faith in the Lord, I really do feel like I have Someone else to help me through all this...literally pulling and pushing me a long. Knowing that with Him, I really could face whatever was thrown at me.

On a different note, I do believe that facing cancer is easier than the daily struggles we often face as moms...and the struggles are different for each mom. What an important job we have as mothers, and the ramifications of every decision we make, all affecting our childrens' futures, is sometimes very overwhelming to me! But aren't kids amazing...and so worth it!