December 10, 2006

Certifiable???

We told the youngins last week about the future arrival of a new sibling. Kathleen loved the topic. I was also able to give her one of the many pictures I got from ultrasound technician which she now has placed within her favourite little book for safekeeping. We brought up the topic of baby names on the way to school this morning. Kathleen is convinced the baby will be a girl and seems content with the name Caroline. We introduced the idea of the name, Thomas, for a boy. I don't think dh and I have decided that is what it will be but it seems like a nice name and certainly is fitting with the obsession of the Thomas the Tank Engine in our house. Further, Andrew, Declan and Thomas seem like a great combination of boy names. Andrew didn't seem to absorb the name well and thought Lightning McQueen, Mater, or Annie might be more suitable.

Kathleen is keen to understand when the baby will arrive. One of her first questions was 'Is the baby older than Sarah Grace [her new cousin]? Well, given Sarah was born on November 11 and I am only 13 weeks, I think the concept of age difference is not a firm concept quite yet. I told her the baby would be due after her birthday in May - that seemed to work a bit better.

Kathleen took the picture of her new sibling to school last week for show n'share, carefully tucked in her little book. I knew by end of that day, every child in the JK/SK room will be very well aware of the new future sibling in our family. I only wonder what the parents will say. It can't be any worse than the comment I got at my Holiday Season party last week - 'Are you certifiable?'

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Does this mean that you've told everyone at work? What was their reaction?