Introducing the 'Strawberry Jello Salad'.
Simply put, we eat well in this house. Good, wholesome, homemade food - concocted by Jayne, Jim or myself, depending on the day of the week. This past weekend was no exception - other than I would say it was a bit unusual.
Jim borrowed yet another cookbook from the library. We borrow a lot of cookbooks (and buy a few of the well liked ones). We try a few recipes and keep record of even fewer. However, we both enjoy reading the cookbooks. One of the recent books was Baked Explorations by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito. A cookbook focused on 'Classic American Desserts Reinvented.' I can't say we borrow too many dessert books - not our thing. However, always good to attempt a few of the deletable, or at least unusual recipes.
We made the Cowboy cookies last week - think oatmeal chocolate chip cookies with pretzels. We moved onto the jello, strawberry, cream cheese and PRETZEL dessert this weekend. I thought it was an awesome summer BBQ type recipe. While this concoction is far from low fat, it does stay relatively true to our goals of low processed foods. This recipe didn't call for Cool Whip (which I absolutely refuse to buy) like most of its brethren on the Internet and instead required frothy whipped cream. [I did use low fat cream cheese because we had it in inventory.] My father even liked it!
The cookbook has an endless supply of deletable treats. Before it is returned, I am hoping to try the Malted Milk Cookies and the Chocolate Whoopie Pies.
Good stuff.

No comments:
Post a Comment