June 10, 2009

Fat fingers

Became the proud owner of a Blackberry today - company supplied, wasn't like I was going to waste my money on one of those crazy devices. I don't truly see the point of a cell phone little alone a mobile email device.

Nevertheless, with a pending mandatory 2 week block leave and an access system that isn't exactly convenient to log-in to work computers, I asked for a Blackberry. Shockingly, despite all of the cut-backs, I was approved. I wouldn't have minded walking away from work for two weeks without a concern for the accumulating emails in my inbox. Obviously, my boss decided that wasn't exactly appropriate. So, I got my used Blackberry (a hand-me-down from a recently departed employee).

So, on the way home, on the subway, I played with my Blackberry. I have been riding the subways for over six months (since Deckles finished daycare last October). For the first few months, I napped both directions. The last few months I have read, and read, and read books. Tonight, I played with the Blackberry.

I haven't figured out all the buttons but did delete numerous old emails that have been lagging in my inbox. I am not an important person (IMO) but I somehow receive at least 75+emails each day. It is a bit overwhelming. I probably don't need to read 25 of those emails, and probably haven't missed much if I skipped another 25. I don't quite have the 'read once' philosophy and, thus, accumulate emails. Once I hit over 500 emails in my inbox, I start to mass delete. So, I deleted on the subway. I am highly envious of those people whose email boxes are empty.

I even wrote an email too - wouldn't have been sent until I escaped the subway, but I wrote it anyway. Thought to myself, thank goodness my fingers are somewhat slender as the keyboard is rather small.

One shouldn't ever think about these things - so I have thin-ish fingers, even at 7:00pm. Not such a great thing when I waved hysterically at Jayne ('the' nanny) as she was turning left from my street, heading home. I waved hysterically, and my thin fingers suddenly released my wedding ring. Crap - what do you do? Can't just leave and go home with a ring on the ground. I didn't hear it drop on the sidewalk or the busy road so it was either in the bushes or on the grass. Thankfully, Jayne stopped to help (not like you can abandon someone on the sidewalk who just lost their wedding ring). She found it in a flash.

So, sometimes those fat fingers are an advantage, maybe just not with Blackberries.

No comments: