Alright, the packing is continuing and I am getting a bit more disorganized as the move date nears. As I bundle things up, I have noted:
- why do I have three or four champagne buckets? Some of them are quite nice and decorative. I believe one is from France and one is a very simple, almost metal bucket material. Nevertheless, I don't like champagne so why do I need so many champagne buckets! For the record, all have been sent to storage. Why??? I don't know.
- along the same vein, I have packaged up three of the those pottery type wine coolers. I believe the idea is to fill clay container with cold water, and then you put your wine bottle in it to cool (after draining the water). Obviously, I haven't put any of my three to good use as I don't really know how to use them.
- I also packaged up all the Ridel stemmed wine glasses - we must have 8-10 of red, white and well, another size. We long ago discovered stemless Ridel wine glasses (that are dishwasher safe I might add), so haven't used a stemmed wine glass in several years. It would be silly to dispose of these very nice wine glasses, most which were wedding presents, but goodness, will I ever use them?
- I have finally pitched a few wedding gifts. Won't mention what they were in the event the givers ever do read the entry. I have kept them around for almost seven years (Oct. 1, 2000 was the big day) and never used them. I have to cut the strings. It isn't emotional anymore, it is clutter.
- I did throw out a rice cooker someone gave me many years ago (probably closer to 8 or 9 years ago). My old roommate was moving to London and some small appliances wouldn't obviously work on the London grid. I gladly accepted a rice cooker - neat little device but I don't eat rice and if I did, I just boil the crap out of it. Alas, I passed it along to the dump site. (Feeling guilty - should have taken it to goodwill)
- I haven't quite recovered from the pantry cleaning experience.
** I have a grocery bag full of glass spice bottles. How many spices does a normal cook really need? I will pilfer through the bag at the other end. I think spices are only good for 12 months so I might have a few geriatric spices well passed their shelf life.
** I must have two or three grocery bags full of various shaped pastas, some open, some not. I think my pantry system got a bit out of control.
** I dumped four or five bottles of various almost-done vinegars. Tomorrow is recycle day so I thought I should add to my recycle collection because it might otherwise hit the garbage bag for the next week. I refuse to move an almost done bottle of well-aged vinegar. Yuck.
** Tea - it is out of control. If it was open and I didn't like the flavour (herbal and decaf for instance), it was pitched.
Enough for one night - off to bed, to hit the packing again tomorrow. I am sitting in Jim's office at the moment and this place is a disaster - not sure how he plans to pull this one room off. I promised I would do the rest of the house but this room seems a tad out of control still.
4 comments:
You either need to become a lush or set up a store on ebay and unload that wine paraphenalia. I vote for the former. ;) Onward with the packing and decluttering! I know what you mean, toward the end you just start flinging stuff in boxes and hoping for the best. What is the deadline for being out of the house?
Oh, how well I understand your pain. I recommend a massive trip to Goodwill -- much faster than ebay and very freeing.
Is there anyone who would come and pick up any of your goodwill-type items? Both the CP and Diabetes societies pick up here. Sounds a bit lazy I know, but they come by several times a year and I get rid of soooo much stuff that I would otherwise have held onto.
I'm off to look-up stemless wine glasses. I feel so out of the loop 'cause I don't know what they are!
Glad to see you're still at the point where you're actually evaluating your items. Of all the times I've moved, by the end, it just all gets thrown in boxes...to be sorted "another time."
Good luck!
Post a Comment