September 22, 2007

Back up and running!

I am back after a long, week delay getting the Internet reconnected. We survived the move. We have the return move to think about in 8 or 9 months but for now I am getting settled in the new little abode.

The renovations have half begun. We once again were granted the approval, this time by the provincial tribunal, to add on to the existing dwelling. We were granted the minor variance to the by-law way back in May but were appealed by our grumpy neighbours. This ruling was expected, given the extensive precedent, but still was a relief.

The building permit was submitted 10 business days ago. They indicated it should be a 10 day turn-around for our type of permit, so I am assuming we should get our permit by early next week. YEAH!

We ordered the front windows last week. We expect an 8 to 10 week wait for the install. We purchased some sort of sash-replacement window from Kobe. Not sure exactly what we have ordered, but the window company was adamant not to touch the wood bays on the existing house (good shape) or the trim on the inside of the house (lath and plaster can crack and create a nightmare of a mess).

My father has volunteered his time to help us assess a ground source heat pump HVAC system. The system is expensive to install (twice that of conventional forced air) but is touted to be extremely energy efficient, with an 8-10 year payback. We have done the ground work to get a government grant if this system is installed. It sounds funky but the big drill rig in the yard is a bit intimidating.

A golf buddy was over this week to discuss sound systems and wiring. If in doubt, he said, wire the house and choose the components later. I am thinking we will picking components much much later as the bills begin to arrive.

The kitchen design is evolving - this is a tough one. Originally, the kitchen was designed with an eat-in kitchen as well as stools at an island. However, once we started adding new appliances it became clear we need more cabinet area and less eating space so we may eliminate the eat-in kitchen for a long island with space for the entire gang. I think this decision is the most difficult of all.

Otherwise, the troops have been very keen. We were at the house today doing the fall clean-up and stuffing the garage full of all stuff not sent to storage. The kids had a blast playing in the dirt pilings under the now-demolished rear deck. They came back to the townhouse absolutely filthy but very happy.

More to share I am sure but here is a start!

3 comments:

Undomestic said...

Do you have a dining room? If so, I'd say do the long island eating. You can always do the family eating around a table in your dining room. At least you'd get use out of it (I think we've used our dining room 5 times since we've moved here 2+ years ago).

Anonymous said...

Whew! Glad you're at the new house and starting to get settled in. What a big job. I think Undomestic is right...go for the island eating option and embrace all the extra cabinet space.

Jana said...

I agree with Cari on the big island vs. the table in the kitchen if you have a formal dining room. When we build our "dream" home (i.e. one we plan on staying in for more than 3 years!) it won't have a formal dining room.

Sounds like everything is falling into place. Yay! We are well underway here on getting our plans out to bid and are anxious to start. We are shooting for Nov. 1. I am so glad this is just a "flip" house for us though. I can't imagine making the long term decisions like you are at this stage. But it sounds like you are on the path to really getting what you want. Can't wait to hear more as it all comes together!